Search me, O God, and know my heart; Try me, and know my anxieties;
And see if there is any wicked way in me, And lead me in the way everlasting. Psalm 139:23-24

Friday, September 12, 2008

God's Little Miracle

I know many of you who read our blog do not believe in God or have a relationship with Christ. Oh, how I wish you did! It is one of those amazing things that you want all your loved ones to have.

I say this because of the small miracle He did with me last night. Since our break-in (post below) I have had major anxiety once evening comes. I feel sick to my stomach and also feel like my inner-body is shaking. It is hard to describe and I really have a new compassion for people who suffer from anxiety on a daily basis. Anyways, the first night I put in a movie and tried to fall asleep to that. I did, but woke up constantly with nightmares and fear. Last night I decided to start my women's Bible study that started for the fall, hoping that God would calm me through His word. Our Bible study in on the Psalms of Ascent (Psalms 120-134) which I don't know much about at this time and did not expect it to match how I was feeling. I started reading through the authors principle questions and one of them caught my attention leading me to Psalm 91. I flipped to that passage and started crying, it was perfect!

Psalm 91:1-5a
HE who dwells in the secret place of the Most High
Shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty.
I will say of the LORD, "He is my refuge and my fortress;
My God, in Him I will trust."
Surely He shall deliver you from the snare of the fowler
And from the perilous pestilence.
He shall cover you with His feathers,
And under His wings you shall take refuge;
His truth shall be your shield and buckler.
You shall not be afraid of the terror by night
The rest of the passage continues on the same topic, but the last line held my attention. I read these verses through many times and felt my anxiety slip away. I prayed myself to sleep and slept soundly.
This is just a small daily miracle that God provides. Many of you know larger ones. For instance, one of my friends from school was diagnosed with a baseball size brain tumor earlier this year. Within a few days of diagnosess (after months of EXTREME fatigue, sickness, and Dr.'s appointments) she needed emergency brain surgury. The doctors said there was about a 1% chance of survival. There were thousands (if not more) prayers for her that night besides the 300+ people praying for her in the hospital waiting room. Today she is back working full time. God could have taken her as part of His will, but instead He showed us a "modern day" miracle.
I thank all of you who kept us in your prayers, I could feel them! I know that what happened to us is insignificant to other situations, but scary none-the-less.

6 comments:

HMPhillips said...

Isn't it amazing how you can always seem to find guidence, hope, reassurance, security, etc in the Word when you need it the most? I am regularly in awe of how God uses His word as the ultimate sign of His true and constant presence in my life. It's pretty convicting to me how He is always speaking to us through his word, yet just how quick I am to neglect it. Thanks for the post and the encouragement (though I don't know that you are looking at it like that!) to daily seek what He has to tell us through his word =)

The Chargualaf Family said...

Thank you for sharing how God "spoke" to your heart and met your need, through His words to us---the Bible! You were in my prayers yesterday, after you shared with me about the break-in to your home. So, nice to see how this day turned out for you!

Isn't God SO good---to meet us "right where we are at", and reassure our hearts of his unfailing love to us, when we call on him in prayer and look to Him in His Word! I LOVE it! And I can testify to this many, many times in my life as well...

He is an AWESOME God... who loves us more than we can grasp! (May I always remember!!)

Anonymous said...

I love that God gave you just the right psalm that spoke so clearly to what he knows your heart was experiencing. I can't even say how many times this past year that He has lead me to just the right scripture or had just the right person call with encouragement when I thought I couldn't handle any more. We serve such an incredible God! Thanks for sharing.

nwestmama said...

That is awesome! Thanks for sharing with us how the Lord is revealing Himself to you through a very tough few days! Love ya girl!

Tyffany said...

What a blessing that God was able to lead you to Him in this time and that you followed that nudge! And what an amazing God we have that HE was and is concerned about your anxiety and was there to calm your fears! Love you friend!

The Lockbeam Family said...

My friend! I'm encouraged and excited to see how God is using something that man intended for evil, for His good and glory! Thank you for sharing how He is comforting you and carrying you through the dark times, reminding us of His love and faithfulness to those who seek Him. Stay strong and hold your shield of faith high! I'm praying for you! Love,Kara