My Brethren, Count it all joy when you fall into various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience. James 1:2-3
Here is a summary of what we think happened, along with the blessings of God's hand in it. The kids and I headed out to take JJ to preschool. On my way out the door, I was talking to my friend about our plans for the day which included heading to the mall area.
LESSON ONE! Don't be saying you are leaving the house for while where anyone can hear you! The pattern of crooks recently has been to watch your habits, wait for you to leave and then hit your house. They also knock on the door to see if anyone is home and if you are say something like, "Have you seen a small black dog?".
Due to driving logistics, I almost decided to come back home and wait until JJ was out of school to go to the mall. GOD'S BLESSING...I was not home when they decided to visit. I know some of you would prefer to be, but I care more about the safety of my loved ones than to fight off crud! There have been a string of burglaries lately, and yesterday they caught the guys...and their guns.
Back to the story...After dropping JJ, I had realized that I left something at home. I parked in the front, left the 2 buckled and locked in the car, and ran into the house. For those of you who know my house, it took me about 20 seconds to grab something in Ryn's room and something in the bathroom. Within that period I stopped twice hearing a strange sound. I figured it was the floors or hospital construction and went on my way.
GOD'S BLESSING... I am fairly positive that they were in the house at that time. The noises I heard were pretty much the same as the floor board creaks from our room, one of the rooms they took some time on. I am so thankful that I did not need to go anywhere else in the house where I could have met them face-to-face.
LESSON TWO...I do wish that I had been more observant. I never glanced at the side of our house when we pulled in, where they most likely parked and had the fence open. Also, I may have seen our IPOD Dock missing. I know I still would have headed out of the house (which is later in the story) but possibly been able to catch they guys. (Well, let the police catch them!)
So...we headed out to do our errands and then picked JJ up from school. We were going to meet friends at McDonald's but had an hour to kill. I decided to run back home to grab shopping stuff. This time I went through the front door towards the kitchen (again leaving the kids buckled and locked in car...GOD'S BLESSING!!!) I first noticed our Ipod dock gone and then the back door was open, which I was positive I locked. I glanced down to the basement and noticed more light than normal, meaning that the downstairs door was open. I ran back out to the car while dialing 911 and drove away. Like I said, I like to flee! I drove around the block and then noticed the side gate left open. The boys were worried about our "guard dog", Maggie, who was still in the yard.
MORE LESSONS...The cops wanted as many serial numbers as possible from the items stolen. Most stores don't keep record of this, nor do the reciepts. This is a good thing to have listed somewhere else in your house. Keep tax files somewhere other than a file cabinet. They rifled through ours, we are assuming for numbers, etc.
MORE OF GOD'S BLESSINGS...As the cops arrived a neighbor of ours was out in her yard. She came down to check on us and waited with the kids by our car while we examined the house. Thanks, Louise! Also, Heather and Kara were both available to help us with child care, and others offered, too! Kara and my mom were both able to spend time here the next few days as I dealt with the aftermath. Thanks to all of you for your helpfulness and prayers!
8 comments:
I should note that I came to the rescue running out of work and arrived a second behind the cops!
Jill now makes me sleep with a hammer under our bed. Not sure how well that will work.
Yes, Marc is more of the fight than flee! I had to point out to him that the cops were here and he needed wait for their instructions!
Oh - Jill - I'm so sorry this happened to y'all and very glad that ALL the Fry's did not have a chance to come face to face w/ these men. I'll call you later.
:(
I'm so sorry to hear about your experience! I'm glad that you are all safe . . .keeping you in our thoughts and prayers!
Wow. Praise God you are all safe and sound. That is nuts. I can't believe the timing of everything (coming and going from your house that day) and God's hand of protection on you my dear friend!
Ohhh, Jill.... I am SO sorry to hear about this happening to you guys. AGAIN! And really, the burglary sounds much worse than the first time...
However, I have to praise God w/ you in that He showed you all GREAT mercy in protecting you!! Awesome!!! Thank you, GOD!!!
I will keep you in prayer regarding this... for your peace of mind, as you look to Him in thankfulness---and in trust---that He sees and knows the "bigger picture" behind all of this, and that you will rest in His great love for you and your family. :0)
SO thankful that you guys are SAFE!!
Oh my goodness...how SCARY!!! I'm so glad that your family is OK and the guys were caught! We'll be thinking about ya'll.
Wow- that's horrible Jill. I'm so sorry you had to go through that. Maybe you can get a security system???? It would at least give you some warning if someone was in the house.
Has there been other break-ins in your neighborhood?
I'm so happy you guys are all safe. xox
~Drury (Duggan ;O))
Post a Comment